Chennai: A plea has been filed in the Madras High Court seeking a direction to the central government not to allow the Board of Control for Cricket in India conduct Indian Premier League T20 cricket matches from 29 March 24 May due to the coronavirus outbreak.
The PIL, filed by advocate G Alex Benziger, is likely to come up before a division bench comprising Justices MM Sundresh and Krishnan Ramaswamy on 12 March.
“As on date, as per the website of the World Health Organisation, there was no specific medicine or to prevent or to treat the COVID-19,” the petitioner said.
According to the petitioner, the coronavirus was spreading all over the world rapidly and creating a huge epidemic disaster.
The Italy Federation League, one of the oldest leagues in the world, has been severely affected and the football games were being played behind closed doors with no fans allowed at any football ground until 3 April by the Italian government, the petitioner said.
The petitioner said he had sent a representation to authorities not to allow the BCCI conduct IPL T20 cricket matches.
As there was no response, he filed the present plea, the petitioner added.
Agarwal had sought information on the organisations affiliated to the BCCI and its office bearers, facilities provided to each of them by the government and details of payment made to the government in the last five years.
The Commission had also directed the Board to send a written representation containing nine items of information, sought by the applicant.
In his petition challenging the CIC proceedings, BCCI (Game Development) Manager Ratnakar Shetty said the Board was not a ‘public authority’ and it did not enjoy any financial support from the government and was not subject to the superintendence of the government.
Citing three earlier judgements by the apex court, in which BCCI was held as an ‘autonomous body,’ he contended that the impugned proceedings were “totally without jurisdiction,” since the Board did not fall within the purview of the Act 22 of 2005.
Observing that the CIC had sent a notice to all 29 of its affiliates to appear at the hearing with the information sought without notice to the Board or its members, he contended that the procedure adopted by the Commission was “wholly illegal.”
HC orders notice to Centre, BCCI
Madurai: The Madras High Court on Monday ordered notice to the Centre and the BCCI on a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) seeking direction to cancel all future matches between India and Sri Lanka, until disputes between Tamils and Sinhalese are settled.
A division bench comprising justices R Banumathi and B Rajandran also asked them to file their reply to the PIL on April 16. In his PIL, advocate S Calvin Christopher also sought a direction to BCCI not to sign any contract for international matches between India and Sri Lanka.
The petitioner alleged that whenever the Sri Lankan cricket team was defeated by India, whether it was in the World Cup in April last year or later, there was backlash from Sri Lanka’s navy on innocent fishermen from Tamil Nadu. Similarly, after India defeated Sri Lanka in the recent triangular series in Australia, Indian fishing boats were destroyed and fishermen were attacked, he claimed.
While the state government granted Rs 3 crore to the victorious Indian Team on April 4, 2011, the families of Tamil fishermen had received Rs 3 lakh or less for each death. “The life of a Tamil fishermen seemed to be cheaper in the eyes of the Tamil Nadu government,” the petitioner said.
He also said that taking into consideration the safety of the Indian fishermen, the court should stay future matches between India and Sri Lanka, until peace prevails in entire Bay of Bengal.