Vegetarian Recipes : As the nation observes lockdown, spending time with family members has never been so much fun. We have for once at least caught up on the conversations left behind and wondered in awe hearing stories from our parents. Dining table discussions have become the highlight of the day, so much so that we look forward to it, the entire time. While we spend time discussing work, childhood memories, travel diaries, and the list of tasks that we intend to do after the lockdown is lifted, nothing bonds a family more than food.
We have seen numerous instances of our contacts on our Instagram feed about the wonderful food items that are being prepared at different households, Most of us have also tried experimenting in our kitchen, trying to cook to sweep off our family by surprise. To help you dish out more delicious treats in your kitchen, we bring you 5 amazing vegetarian recipes by Renu Dalal, the author of cookbooks Simple and Delicious Vegetarian Recipes, and Modern Vegetarian Recipes. She is also the daughter of the late legendary chef and cookbook author Tarla Dalal. So, wait no more and scroll down for the recipes.
Vegetarian Recipes By Renu Dalal
1. Lebanese Pizza
Pizza with a Middle-East twist, a fusion of Lebanese and Italian Cuisine. You can also eat the delicious chickpea patties by themselves. Likewise you can have the pizza base with yoghurt and cheese topping, drizzled with Tabasco sauce.
For chickpea patties
1. Mix the potato, chickpeas and green peas together using a vegetable masher, so that they are in small pieces. Add green chillies, coriander, bread crumbs, chilli powder, water and salt to taste.
2. Make into small patties and cover with bread crumbs
3. Heat the oil in a nonstick frying pan and cook the patties on both sides till well done. You can deep freeze the patties and use when required.
4. For the hung curd, tie the curd in a wet cloth and leave for 2 hours. Remove from the cloth and add salt and chopped coriander to the curd.
5. To proceed, apply the hung curd on top of the pizza base. Add grated cheese. Place 8 chickpea patties on the pizza. Bake in a preheated oven at 392 F (200 C) for 5 to 7 minutes till well done.
2. Sweet Crepes
Sweet crepes with cream and chocolate sauce. These can be made in a jiffy for all crepe lovers.
1. For the crepes, mix the white flour with the milk, sugar, soda bi carbonate, vanilla essence, cinnamon powder and make a batter.
2. Heat the batter on a nonstick frying pan, add a serving of the batter and spread it till you get a round crepe. Wait till it is cooked on one side and flip it over. Wait till the other side is cooked and remove it from the pan
3. To serve, on the crepe, place some whipped cream, chocolate sauce and roll it. Cut into pieces and serve immediately.
1. For the filling, in a vessel heat the oil, add the masalas and stir fry for a minute. Add the potatoes, green peas and salt to taste and cook for 2 minutes. Keep aside.
2. For closing the edges, mix the white flour and water in a cup and keep aside.
3. For the samosa dough, mix the white flour, water, salt to taste and oil to form the dough. Divide the dough into 4 equal balls. Sprinkle some white flour on a chapatti roller and a wooden board top. Roll each ball to form a thin round. Cut each round into 2 equal parts. Take a part and join the edges to form a cone,
4. To proceed, place the filling in each cone to form a samosa. Close the edges with the white flour and water mixture.
5. Heat the oil in a vessel. Deep fry the samosas till they are crisp. Serve hot.
4. Samosa Curry
1. For the black chick peas (kala chana), wash and soak the black chick peas in water for 8 hours. Drain, add 2 cups of water and cook in a pressure cooker till well done.
2. For the toor dal, wash and soak the dal in water for 1/2 an hour. Drain, add 2 cups of water and cook in a pressure cooker till well done.
3. To proceed, in a vessel heat the oil, add the cumin seeds, garam masala, and turmeric powder. Sauté for a minute. Add the onions and green chillies and sauté for 1/2 minute.
4. Add the cabbage and bean sprouts and sauté for 1/2 minute. Add the toovar dal, black chick peas, water, tamarind chutney, chilli powder and salt to taste. Cook for 3 minutes
5. To serve, heat the samosas on a tava or in a microwave. Cut the samosas into two pieces and place them in a serving bowl. Pour the curry into the serving bowl and serve immediately.
5. Baked Potatoes in White Sauce and Pesto Sauce
1. For the potatoes, boil the potatoes in hot water till cooked. Peel the potatoes and cut them into rounds.
2. In a non-stick frying pan heat the butter and add the oregano, salt and pepper to taste. Add the potato rounds and sauté on both sides for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. To the white sauce add the pesto sauce and mix well.
4. To proceed, grease a baking dish with butter. Place some sauce at the bottom of the dish and make a layer of potatoes and top it with a layer of sauce. Make a second layer of potatoes and top with a layer of sauce.